Monday, 14 March 2016

Homemade Skincare

I am a nightmare, the minute I see a spot or pimple on my face I go into panic mode. I am pretty lucky and do have clear skin most of the time with the odd little breakout. Once I see a spot however I am constantly online reading skincare blogs, googling products and spending most of my lunch hour in the aisle of Boots reading the back of every single lotion and potion that is promising "clear skin", "deep cleansing action", "flawless skin" and " age defying properties". I admit I am sucker for anything that is making promises and I do read the back of the label pretending that I remotely understand what any of the ingredients are.

This week I have stopped to think about my various lotions and potions and I have come to the realisation that I don't really know what any of the ingredients are and if they are even good to be applying to my skin. Now, I am not saying that I am going to ditch the makeup, nail varnish, hair colour as the fact of the matter is that I love it all and I really enjoy using these products.

As you are reading this you might be wondering what is the purpose of this blog post?
The reason is my little spot breakout, I really acted dramatically to my little two spot breakout on my cheek constantly pointing to my little spots and saying to my husband "I have a spot" including pulling a very sad face. My husband very much being a man's man simply replied "it's probably all that crap you put on your face". "Crap"? I replied confused, he went on to explain that I spend so much time in the bathroom lathering my face with various face washes, cleansers, toners etc that he isn't surprised I have the odd spot. I thought his rant was over until he continued to lament the the point that I spend so much time putting on makeup and taking it off that he is surprised I haven't developed skin that looks like "E.T".
Skip on the cleansing and toning girls & you could end up looking like this (according to my husband)

I have to admit he does have a point to some degree as I doubt that moisturiser, primer, foundation, bronzer, blusher, highlighter, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara applied daily probably does mean that my skin can at times feel like it has no room to breathe. It is from the my tiny little spot and my husband declaring that I would turn into E.T that prompted me to create my brilliant new home made cleanser. 


Ingredients & Method

  • Take one small & clean empty pot (I have just used an old moisturiser pot) 
  • Extra virgin olive oil 
  • Distilled Witch Hazel (found in the pharmacy section)
  • Pour into the tub half oil and half witch hazel and give it a shake so that the two solutions become mixed
  • Apply a small amount of the mixture to a cotton pad and wipe off makeup (don't worry if oil is left behind on your skin)
  • Take a fresh & clean facial cloth/flannel and run a warm tap over it using this cloth to wipe away the oil left on the skin 
  • Once all the oil have been removed splash cool water over face to close pores

I have been finding this mixture really effective and a little really does go a long way (it removes waterproof makeup with ease). The trick is not to go over board with the oil on the cotton pad and to always make sure to wipe away the surface oil with the warm flannel. 
The Facial Brush - Primark £1
If I feel that too much oil is left behind I use my facial brush (fantastic buy from Primark for £1) and pop a dab of scrub on the brush, applying this in circular motions to my skin (then use flannel again). 











The Verdict
Since using this to remove my makeup my skin has been feeling lovely and soft without that heavy feeling that  moisturiser can sometime leave your face feeling. I would definitely recommend giving it a try because in addition to it being really effective it is also the cheapest cleanser I have ever used!

*Credits: E.T image taken from The Telegraph



















No comments:

Post a Comment